Connect with us

White House

Fearing Backlash, White House Won’t Block Comey’s Testimony

Former FBI Director James Comey and President Donald Trump

Fearing backlash from the public, the White House announced today that it will not assert executive privilege in an attempt to block the testimony of fired FBI Director James Comey.

Comey is scheduled to appear before the Senate Committee on Thursday.

White House deputy press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders said during a press briefing today that the president has decided to let the Comey testimony proceed.

“President Trump will not assert executive privilege regarding James Comey’s testimony,” she announced.

She said that though the president’s right to assert executive privilege “is well established,” the White House wants a thorough and complete examination of the facts.

“We want to facilitate a swift and thorough examination of the facts,” she told the media.

See also: Trump Exploits London Attack for His Failed Agenda.

Comey’s testimony before Congress this week is his first since being fired last month.

He is expected to testify about his conversations with the president and possibly confirm that the president attempted to obstruct justice by asking him to drop the FBI investigation into former security adviser Michael Flynn.

He will also be grilled about the FBI investigation into Russia’s meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

According to media reports, Comey kept detailed diary of his interactions with President Trump including the time when the president told him to lay off Flynn.

Until today, the White House had refused to rule out the possibility of blocking the testimony, a move experts believe will likely backfire and add to the firestorm surrounding the White House and Trump campaign advisers’ relationship with Russian intelligence officials.

Editor, The Liberal Advocate News

Advertisement
Advertisement

WHITE HOUSE NEWS

Advertisement
Advertisement

More in White House