Connect with us

White House

Citing His Tweets, Appeals Court Slaps Down Trump’s Muslim Ban Again

Donald Trump, U.S. President

President Donald Trump’s tweets have once again come back to haunt him.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit earlier today ruled against the President’s Muslim ban thereby effectively blocking the travel ban to the United States for citizens of six Muslim countries.

In striking down the ban, the court referenced President Trump’s tweets and last week’s announcement by the White House that those tweets should be considered “official statements.”

“The President recently confirmed his assessment that it is the ‘countries’ that are inherently dangerous, rather than the 180 million individual nationals of those countries who are barred from entry under the President’s ‘travel ban,’” the Appeals Court said in its ruling.

The judges also referenced a June 5, 2017 tweet by President Trump that “we need a TRAVEL BAN for certain DANGEROUS countries, not some politically correct term that won’t help us protect our people!”

According to the ruling, the President’s excutive order “does not tie these nationals in any way to terrorist organizations within the six designated countries. It does not identify these nationals as contributors to active conflict or as those responsible for insecure country conditions. It does not provide any link between an individual’s nationality and their propensity to commit terrorism or their inherent dangerousness.”

The ruling said the President’s order “does not provide a rationale explaining why permitting entry of nationals from the six designated countries under current protocols would be detrimental to the interests of the United States.”

This isn’t the first time an Appeals Court has struck down President Donald Trump’s Muslim ban.

Last month, the 4th Circuit Court struck down the same ban citing their belief that the ban was based in part on the religious beliefs of citizens from those six countries.

Today’s ruling and all previous rulings are expected to go before the U.S. Supreme Court.

See also: Is Donald Trump Unhinged?

White House spokesman Sean Spicer said the Trump administration is reviewing today’s ruling but confirmed that they still stand behind the executive order.

“I think we can all attest that these are very dangerous times and we need every available tool at our disposal to prevent terrorists from entering the United States and committing acts of bloodshed and violence,” Spicer told the media.

“We continue to be confident that the president’s executive order to protect this country is fully lawful and ultimately will be upheld by the Supreme Court,” he added.

The Staff of The Liberal Advocate News

Advertisement
Advertisement

WHITE HOUSE NEWS

Advertisement
Advertisement

More in White House