Connect with us

Other News

Rescuers in Mexico Race to Reach Three Children Trapped Under Rubble Before it’s too Late

Mexico Earthquake
Rescuers on the rubble from the earthquake in Mexico

Forty five or so hours ago, Mexico City changed forever and with it the fate of three children, ages 5, 7 and 9, still trapped under the rubble left behind by a devastating 7.1 magnitude earthquake.

Mexican authorities said moments ago that the children, trapped under massive rubble in what was a school have access to cellphones and fluid but they are having a hard time activating the GPS on the phone. It also appears authorities have been able to communicate with the children to let them know that efforts are being made to rescue them.

Authorities say they are being deliberately careful in their movement for fear of upsetting the balance and causing the rubble to move, and possibly crush the kids.

“The problem we are having is that right now everything is fluid. We have to be careful in what we do to avoid upsetting the balance and making the rubble move the wrong way,” an official told the media from Mexico City moments ago.

RELATED: ‘Monster Hurricane’ Maria devastates Puerto Rico, barrels towards Dominican Republic.

Officials say they are sure the kids are alive but cannot confirm when they will be rescued.

“At this moment we know that at least one girl is alive inside,” Admiral Jose Luis Vergara told Foro TV Thursday morning.

Officials say they are worried that the longer it takes to reach the children, the more likely it becomes that they may not make it out alive.

“It been nearly four days now. We know children are resilient but the longer this takes, the higher the probability that they may not survive,” an official told us Thursday.

Mexico Earthquake

Dr. Natalie Azar, an NBC News Medical expert said she has been told the children are getting “pedialyte type” liquid which should help them.

U.S. State Department confirmed this morning that the U.S. is helping with the rescue efforts. Spokeswoman Heather Nauert confirmed that Mexico has requested help from the United States and the Trump administration has responded with equipment and whatever else is needed including trained personnel.

“We have 60 members of our rescue team on the ground. We also have five dogs helping to sniff out people who are alive and 62,000 pounds of specialized equipment,” Nauert said on the Andre Mitchell Show on MSNBC moments ago.

“It been nearly four days now. We know children are resilient but the longer this takes, the higher the probability that they may not survive,” an official told us Thursday.

The White House confirmed Wednesday President Trump spoke with Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto by telephone to offer his condolences and U.S. assistance.

“The President offered assistance and search-and-rescue teams, which are being deployed now,” the White House said. “The President also pledged to continue close coordination with Mexico as the two countries respond to the recent earthquakes and hurricanes.”

The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) also confirmed that it has deployed a Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) to Mexico “following a formal request for assistance by the Government of Mexico.”

SEE ALSO: Special Prosecutor Mueller Asks White House for Documents Related to Trump’s Actions as President.

The earthquake is the third major natural disaster to hit Mexico in two weeks. Hurricane Katia dumped rain on the Mexican Gulf Coast on September 8, killing at least two people and leaving thousands without power. The same day, a powerful 8.1-magnitude earthquake struck off the country’s southern Pacific coast, killing more than 90 people and toppling hundreds of buildings.

Mexican authorities confirmed Thursday that so far at least 225 people have died. They said they expect the death toll to be much higher when all is done.

This is a developing story. Check back for more updates or follow us on Social Media.



The Staff of The Liberal Advocate News




More in Other News